The Lenoir Forums Version 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decade in Review (film).

Go down

Decade in Review (film). Empty Decade in Review (film).

Post by CDCeltown Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 am

This is an idea Springheeljac and I were kicking around. Just gonna try to list our favorite movies, albums, books, video games, and TV Shows of the last decade.. being as this one is almost over.

I'm going to take movies, and albums. Springheel is going to take books, and video games. Then we were going to do TV shows together.

I wasn't quite sure how to go about it, so I decided to do 10 from each year at a time.

So, this one will be my ten favorite films of the year 2000. Sometime in the next week or so, I'll do 2001, and so on. Feel free to post yours as well.

So here we go.

10. X-Men

I'm not the biggest comic book fan in the world, but I must say, when I saw X-Men in the theater, I was shocked by how good it was. Great casting choices, great writing, and some AMAZING special effects. I would go out on a limb and say Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is the best casting decision, but I'd be lying. Ian McKellen as Magneto is just without a doubt, a performance to remember.

09. Erin Brockovich.

To be honest, I didn't have any particular desire to see this movie when it came out. Granted, I was 14 or 15, so why would I? About 5 years ago, I sat down and gave it a watch. I was mildly impressed with the acting, and I found the directing to be mediocre, but good lord, the writing by Susannah Grant is flat out captivating. From the get go, I was hooked, and really wanted to see where the story was going. Though it has some depressing scenes, it's really one of those movies that makes you feel good at the end. Good stuff.

08. Animal Factory

This is one of those movies that no one has ever heard of. It stars Willem Dafoe, Mickey Rourke, and Edward Furlong. and Directed by Steve Buscemi (if you don't know him, think Reservoir Dogs... mr. pink, or Rockhound in Armageddon), and is based off the novel by Edward Bunker. BAsically it's a prison movie. What can I say, I dig prison movies. Really good flick though if you have a Tuesday night to kill. Not to mention, I think Willem Dafoe and Mickey Rourke are some of the best actors ever.

PS... Mickey Rourke appears in this movie as a transvestite. Really strange to see. Great acting though.

07. Final Destination

Talk about some FREAKY SHIT. To be honest, during the '90s Horror movies were in MORE than steady decline. I consider this to be one of the movies to revive the horror genre. This is one of the most original ideas I've ever seen come to fruition for a horror movie. The acting, I really could take or leave, though Devon Sawa does a pretty fine job. Guilty pleasure? Maybe. But no one can deny the awesomeness of the death scenes in that movie. In this, the mundane becomes your worst nightmare. There is no slasher, no ghost, just sheer and utter chaos. This movie has a general feeling of discomfort throughout.

06. Hi Fidelity.

John Cusack steals this movie. This is one for the music snobs. Jack Black is also amazing in this movie.. as per usual.

05. Snatch.

Three words. Guy... F*cking... Richie. Brad Pitt is in it too. WATCH IT!

04. Cecil B. Demented.

I slept on this movie. Took me a while to even give it a chance. Let me assure you, when John Waters makes a movie, he REALLY MAKES A MOVIE. This in my opinion is his commentary on hollywood today. For some frame of reference check out his other flicks. Pink Flamingos, Hairspray, Serial Mom, Cry Baby, and many others.

TRAILER IS NSFW!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

03. Requiem For A Dream.

You may remember Daron Aronofsky's latest movie, the Oscar nominated "The Wrestler." This is some of his earlier work. He has a serious knack for making some of the most depressing stories, and yet, you can't stop watching them. This is a movie that shows you the dangers of drug use from a different light.

02. The Boondock Saints.

Two guys, on a mission from god, to rid the world of what they believe to be evil. Probably doesn't sound like my cup of tea... but it is. It SO VERY MUCH is. Troy Duffy sadly hasn't really made anything worthwhile since.

01. O' Brother Where Art Though.

To be completely honest, pretty much any time the Cohen brothers make a movie, they're going to be high up on my list. This movie retells the story of Homer's The Odyssey, but during the Great Depression. The music is nothing short of stellar, the cast is spectacular, the directing, writing, camera styles, editing, ALL OF IT... is something to behold.

That's it. Thanks for reading.
CDCeltown
CDCeltown
Admin

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum