The Lenoir Forums Version 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life in Lenoir

5 posters

Go down

Life in Lenoir Empty Life in Lenoir

Post by EltownMom Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:04 am

CDC, if you want to get the joint jumping, how about lets bone up on so real issues. Lets start with the Newstopic and go to the city management and then stroll by the LPD.
The Newstopic overflows with some really bad reporting, the southern baptist get their day but I don't see atheist/agnostic day. The world could be ending on a Sunday and the LNT would have a front page on Sunday full of ducks, kids and someones garden! City management plants trees in the downtown area when ALL of the furniture factory's are moving to China and Mexico. (Damn, those trees must be important) As for the local keystoners, what a bunch of boobs. Remember the deer that got loose in town. Those city morons didn't know how to not kill the poor thing. Sex games and jokes are great but Lenoir need someone to set local politics on it's proverbial ear! You sir are quite capable. Just do it! Idea

EltownMom

Back to top Go down

Life in Lenoir Empty Re: Life in Lenoir

Post by a new beggining Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:56 am

I don't even think the baptist get their say as you put it. The news topic reports what they want and if it is against the cops or city they don't report it. Just like they keep refering to the officer that has been proven guilty of hitting the girl in the parking space as accused off. LMAO.

He has been proven guilty and they still report it wrong and so does kicks. Their are alot of other things they have half reported on to.
a new beggining
a new beggining

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:03 am

a new beggining wrote:I don't even think the baptist get their say as you put it. The news topic reports what they want and if it is against the cops or city they don't report it. Just like they keep refering to the officer that has been proven guilty of hitting the girl in the parking space as accused off. LMAO.

He has been proven guilty and they still report it wrong and so does kicks. Their are alot of other things they have half reported on to.
Would be nice if they would change things to a practical point of view. It can be done, but it takes someone to get involved with the reporters and give them stories they can investigate and prove to be as I think they are. I used to do that by talking to the editor, then letting him appoint a reporter and a photographer to go out and start their investigation. Sometimes they saw it my way, sometimes things just got pushed into the drawer and forgotten. Lately I've been too busy to go out and do these things. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Chassidida on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)
Chassidida
Chassidida

http://barterbucks.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

I'd like to see more stories in the LNT about people who have found success in these poor economic times. The way I look on it is that getting rid of some of the jobs that left was a blessing to some people that could get job training in a better line of work. I know some people have developed their talents and skills enough to succeed at something. It would be an inspiration to others to hear the other side of people's success.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by CDCeltown Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:18 am

Chass, I hated to do it, but I had to delete your avatar, as it was overlapping your words. You seriously couldn't read what you were saying.

I'll have to fix the board so we can have bigger avs. Don't feel bad, mine did it too. I also had to fix mine. As of now it's I believe it's 150 x 300. I'll get it back to 200x500 if you can wait a day or two. Promise.
CDCeltown
CDCeltown
Admin

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:44 pm

CDCeltown wrote:Chass, I hated to do it, but I had to delete your avatar, as it was overlapping your words. You seriously couldn't read what you were saying.

I'll have to fix the board so we can have bigger avs. Don't feel bad, mine did it too. I also had to fix mine. As of now it's I believe it's 150 x 300. I'll get it back to 200x500 if you can wait a day or two. Promise.
That's OK. I looked at it last night and though it was OK. Will work on some more later on. You mentioned Vegas the other day and I have had my mind on going there ever since! Guess that's why I messed up the avitar!

I'm going to reduce the size of an avitar and see if that will work. Wonder why it didn't show up big last night? Am I that blind now? Try, try, and try again.

Last edited by Chassidida on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by EltownMom Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:10 pm

What I was talking about are the editorials. I don't read them anymore but there is a woman one day a week that is where Benji Watts does his column and down below is that loser who says it's bad to spank your kids and for some mad reason I'll never understand he wrote about kids who are 7 or 8 and still don't use the toilet??? Is that real??? LNT is so biased. Benji I read, he is just plain funny but I think her first name is Ann, her column is so dull and self righteous.
Chass your right in one way about getting a better education but most of those people that graduated don't want to move or drive to Hickory, most of them are older and I have seen too many of them working at Walmart, Burger King and Vantage Foods (Brrrrrrr) Google hired 3 people from the collage, they let 1 go and kept the other 2. I am working at Vantage and I intend to finish my degree but I am not stupid enough to think I'll find work in Lenoir and thats sad.
Why didn't anybody say anything about those damn trees???? They piss me off. When I was little we had the parking in town like we do now. They stopped it because of too many wrecks. Since they started it again there have been 3 bad wrecks in town and one resulted in death!
Why is the Red Pig closed?
Someone buy the Center Theater and fix it up.
There is one pretty cool thing in town, Ben Willis, he owns Hogwallars. I went to the IT institute with him and he is a really great guy.

EltownMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 pm

I don't know why the RP is closed down. Guess everyone got old and retired or too many other eating joints moved here. Center Theater. That was my first job in Lenoir. I worked there during high school and went to school with the older Willis, Ben's Brother. He's a musician. Didn't know that someone had died in downtown Lenoir cause of the traffic layout. I don't read the LNT all that much. I know what you say about jobs in Lenoir. I always worked in Hickory or Conover or Burke County if I worked at a job other than security or sales. A good part of my life I traveled doing trade shows. I'd just like to hear of someone getting a better job even if they do have to move away from here.

People ask me why I don't want a store in Lenoir or why I always sell most of my things to people in NY, Ca. or elsewhere. I can't answer that except to say those people call me or email me wanting to buy and they pay cash or work over the exchange.

What I'd like to hear about is someone getting their education, then making a commercial farm or a winery or something like a pumpkin patch (big place up North where they intertwine a pumpkin farm with a petting zoo and amusement park during the fall season).

I heard a rumor that the 4H Camp up in Mulberry would be up for grabs. The state has control of it, I believe. That would make a great commercial farm and give lots of jobs to others.

Damned. Just talking about other places makes me want to travel somewhere.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by EltownMom Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:54 pm

I always worked in another place too. Either Hickory or Statesville. So many people my age (44) are not OK to make the distance. While in school I met a youngish man (30ish) who's wife had some kind of cancer, he was always late for class, many issues that would occur with that sort of disease, he also had young children. His wife had to have some surgery ( not from the cancer) that was very risky. The day she had the surgery is the same day he was to get his first phone interview with Google. He got the job and she was OK. He is still there. So there is your happy ending.
What do you sell? Do you Ebay or have an online store. I have done the Flea Market for 25 years. I sold used tapes and CDs. In the 90's I made a lot of money. No one really wants to pay for music anymore and I understand that but it was how I made my bills. I worked a 40 hr a week job as well, but it did not pay me enough to cover my bills.

EltownMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:32 pm

EltownMom wrote:I always worked in another place too. Either Hickory or Statesville. So many people my age (44) are not OK to make the distance. While in school I met a youngish man (30ish) who's wife had some kind of cancer, he was always late for class, many issues that would occur with that sort of disease, he also had young children. His wife had to have some surgery ( not from the cancer) that was very risky. The day she had the surgery is the same day he was to get his first phone interview with Google. He got the job and she was OK. He is still there. So there is your happy ending.
What do you sell? Do you Ebay or have an online store. I have done the Flea Market for 25 years. I sold used tapes and CDs. In the 90's I made a lot of money. No one really wants to pay for music anymore and I understand that but it was how I made my bills. I worked a 40 hr a week job as well, but it did not pay me enough to cover my bills.
Ever since I was in high school I designed hand knit things and sold them. I'll be 62 in October, so I hit all the good years of when the new Farmer's Markets and outdoor craft shows and street festivals started.

I'd get up before daylight and head off to some show I'd booked and paid for a year in advance. Not many people did handknits so I had a good market. I did many college shows too.

I worked security during the weeknights. If I could get Friday nights off I would, but sometimes I'd work til 4:00, then head off to a craft show. Now that's something I could not do at my age now!

By the end of the 80's those shows had changed a whole lot. What used to cost $5 to enter was now $250. Such as the Apple Festival in Wilkes. I did that first show and it was so great. But now it's overgrown with commercial stuff. Then it was strictly craft made by the people who were selling there.

After I learned the computer I began to want to sell online. Mostly on EBay I sell plants or bulbs. They don't want to pay a handknit price for anything and there is so much jewelry on there anyhow.

Most of my stuff in knits and jewelry goes on either ETSY or http://barterbucks.us. I get good prices and I can always barter for things there rather than going in debt or spending cash.

I have some regular customers that have remained with me since the early '70's that keep in touch mostly on holidays. And I have several ladies that sell things for me. Selling is time consuming and I'm not the best with it anyhow.

A few years ago I helped someone buy two store buildings in downtown Lenoir. I was offered a space in the store but my husband said that would be to burdensome to the new owner. So I have an agreement that during the festivals or the parade I can have this little indented space under the awning to set up and sell my things. I can actually go anytime, but something when it's cold I go up and sell handknitted hats and scarves at a discounted price. Last year I didn't have any to sell though. I was sold out.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Life in Lenoir BarterBucks193 Hope this makes a photo. It's the little bags I knit to put my necklaces in once I sell them. People can use them to carry their cards or spare change, an ipod, a cell phone or whatever.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:35 pm

[Life in Lenoir Jade1 One of the items I completed this week.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Life in Lenoir Jade2 Another necklace with Brazilian quartz and white jade.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Life in Lenoir Jade3 Probably these big necklaces will go eiher to Boone or California next week.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Onalish Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Those necklaces are gorgeous!
Onalish
Onalish

http://www.myspace.com/onalish

Back to top Go down

Post by EltownMom Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Those are some beautiful pieces. Did you ever go to Hillsville VA? They have that labor day market and I have done it 4 times. It was costly to set up but we made our money back the first half of the first day. CDC, back when he was just little Joshie and his little sister went with me a lot. They seemed to enjoy doing the markets with me but I mostly took them in the spring or fall. Winter and summer are rough. Josh worked for me selling CDs at the New I-40 flea market. My mom did hand crafts, she would do the Apple Fest and all those festivals around here, alas I am afraid that technology has almost killed my CD business. So now I am freezing at Vantage Foods.

EltownMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:39 pm

EltownMom wrote:Those are some beautiful pieces. Did you ever go to Hillsville VA? They have that labor day market and I have done it 4 times. It was costly to set up but we made our money back the first half of the first day. CDC, back when he was just little Joshie and his little sister went with me a lot. They seemed to enjoy doing the markets with me but I mostly took them in the spring or fall. Winter and summer are rough. Josh worked for me selling CDs at the New I-40 flea market. My mom did hand crafts, she would do the Apple Fest and all those festivals around here, alas I am afraid that technology has almost killed my CD business. So now I am freezing at Vantage Foods.
You can sell my stuff for me anytme you want. I have several people that take a bunch and sell it. They keep part of what they sell. Thanks for saying they are gorgeous. I've often wondered what Lenoir folk think of my stuff these days. I think a lot of my things are rather Ethnic and/or traditional with native materials. I started selling jewelry in the 70's. It was all made by Native Americans -- Navajo's and Juni's. I always wore the jewelry. Sold most of it at the Christmas Show in Charlotte and Christmas Show in Raleigh. An importer and diamond dealer saw me at the Mdse. Mart in Charlotte and gave me a job in NYC. I started doing the shows at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in NY at the International Boutique Shows and the Gift Shows. While I was there I'd work as a corrier or buyer right before and right after the shows. It was so very nice and I learned how to import from that job. I started designing for another business they bought out called D and M Jewelry. I didn't make a lot of money, but I could buy everything wholesale. I had girls that worked in offices that sold for me. I got a lot of clothing, too, because D and M was on 5th Avenue and the garment district was on 7th. It was a real hussle business.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:50 pm

EltownMom wrote:Those are some beautiful pieces. Did you ever go to Hillsville VA? They have that labor day market and I have done it 4 times. It was costly to set up but we made our money back the first half of the first day. CDC, back when he was just little Joshie and his little sister went with me a lot. They seemed to enjoy doing the markets with me but I mostly took them in the spring or fall. Winter and summer are rough. Josh worked for me selling CDs at the New I-40 flea market. My mom did hand crafts, she would do the Apple Fest and all those festivals around here, alas I am afraid that technology has almost killed my CD business. So now I am freezing at Vantage Foods.
I've never been to HIllsboro, but I did have my own show right here in Hudson at the HUB in 2004. Rented the place and ran an ad in the local papers and found exhibitors and musicians. I called it the Giftmaker and Muician Show. I had several partners that were supposed to find the musicians. My partners ended up in Houston and NJ three months before the show. They'd gotten jobs with airlines. LOL

Had the whole thing to do by myself, but I did it. Luckily the exhibitors turned out to be some of the best people I've seen at shows anywhere. They loved the idea of a show in October right before the holidays that was indoors. Everyone said they did well.

I was short on musicians, though. I thought it would be a good place for musicians to play and sell their cds and meet people. I just didn't know that many musicians then.

I think the Civic Center would take that show if I'd give them a good proposal and help them lay it all out. That way I wouldn't have to pay rent or advertising and people could show and sell.

I had found most of the guest that spent money by contacting every school administrator and teacher in each school in 5 counties. They adverised for me by letting the students get credit for attending the show and interviewing an exhibitor.

Another good show was the Appalachian Spring Fling. They quit doing the show years ago when the government quit giving out grants. But now if someone would plan it and do they work to get it started without them having to pay for a director, I think they would do it again. The government used to give tremendous grants for someone to do shows. Now they will give grants if it is multcultural or cultural in some way. But I found it's easier to just do it if someone will give the space. Someone that already has permits for public gatherings and insurance.

I'd orgaize the shows for free if enough people and the colleges and Civic Center wanted it.

My mother tells people that I was in show business, giving them the impression I was in entertainment. But mother never went on a show trip when it rained or the sun burned down on top of my head till my scalp pealed off for weeks.

All in all, I had good memories from those times and I met sooooooooooo many people I'd otherwise not ever known.

But from this day forward let all my shows be indoor shows if I ever do another one.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Chassidida Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Life in Lenoir BNT4 Here is my husband and Tonya Bendickson hosting one of the Native American festivals. Everyone thinks they are related, but the aren't. They just look alike and work well together. He speaks a Native American language, Spanish, Portugese, English, and some Italian. He's a great host at the shows because he can speak out to anyone and make them feel apart of the show.
Chassidida
Chassidida

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down