Do we really need religion?

Go down

Do we really need religion?

Post by CDCeltown on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Not that it should be outlawed... but is it really necessary?

What do you think?
avatar
CDCeltown
Admin

Posts : 88
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 33
Location : Eltown, NC

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by CDCeltown on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:48 am

I concur. If only we had people in here to prove us wrong.
avatar
CDCeltown
Admin

Posts : 88
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 33
Location : Eltown, NC

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by suga suga on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:38 am

Wow, y'all are really trying to bait them in here. I'm not religious enough to argue with you on this one. I don't go to church, I don't read the Bible, but I do not cuss God. I think the people that do strongly believe in God lead a happier life. For instance, if I couldn't make a house payment I would be stressing and trying to figure out how I'm going to pay it. But a devout Christian puts it in "God's hands" and heads to the liquor store. Well, I don't know about the liquor store part but they trust that it will get paid somehow and if it don't then it's God's will. Or something like that.
avatar
suga suga

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-07-11
Location : Lenoir

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by GV4L on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Suga, I am so glad that you joined here. I think I know you from topix and have always thought that you were nothing less than brilliant.
avatar
GV4L

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by suga suga on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks GV! But, you've probably confused me with another brilliant person. I don't think I have too many fans on that forum. But really, who cares? We're all human, entitled to our thoughts and opinions, obsessions, and bad language. Just because I say "shit" doesn't mean I need a good praying for. Or maybe I do, who the hell knows.

Hey Josh..where's the "judge it"? Come on man, I want to give out peanuts!! Smile
avatar
suga suga

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-07-11
Location : Lenoir

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by CDCeltown on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:53 pm

There's no Judge it exactly, but there's rep points. You can give people rep, or take it away, depending on how you like or dislike the way they post.
avatar
CDCeltown
Admin

Posts : 88
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 33
Location : Eltown, NC

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by a new beggining on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:02 am

Who decided what words are meant to be "bad" words anyways? Just like one word is a body function but if I use it as an insult then it becomes a bad word. Does that also mean pig is a bad word if I use it as an insult? There are also other words that were never considered to be bad words until recently. That is until groups of people started saying that offends me. Oh get a life and grow some. Quit being so sensitive. Crying or Very sad
avatar
a new beggining

Posts : 12
Join date : 2009-07-13
Location : Lenoir

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by CDCeltown on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:06 am

No such things as bad words. Just bad thoughts, and bad intentions.
avatar
CDCeltown
Admin

Posts : 88
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 33
Location : Eltown, NC

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by CDCeltown on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 am

My avatar is a "PRAYING" mantis, with his arms folded. As in, he's not praying. He's the atheist. It's just suppose to be funny.

Ironically, I'm also an atheist. It's not really meant to make a statement. I just thought it was funny.
avatar
CDCeltown
Admin

Posts : 88
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 33
Location : Eltown, NC

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by Ikusama on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:31 pm

alike i said before it was deleted for some strange reason. i think he is needed for comfort.
avatar
Ikusama

Posts : 7
Join date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by EltownMom on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:21 am

Yes we do. If for no other reason than to give you a reason to yell! Kidding aside. I don't think it is any more open minded or forward thinking for you to judge anyone for what they choose to believe, and you pronouncements like " Do we really need" are as bad if not worse then the folks that tell you your going to hell for not agreeing with them. When this questions come up I look to a wise man who has been through the ringer and became a martyr for the world.....Rodney says it best. " Can't we all just get along?"
You are judging them sir, and calling them names because they don't agree with you. You were raised better than that, you were raised to be a tolerant, open minded man, and that upside down cross you choose to carry is as silly as if I were to don a WWJD t-shirt and wear it just to piss you off. BTW, you need a new mouse and keyboard, typing on here is hell on earth!

EltownMom

Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by CDCeltown on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:28 am

Mom, I love you, but you're full of shit.

Religion is bad times. And it justifies bad people.

I'm not trying to ban it. I'm trying to get people to voluntarily abandon it. Huge difference.

It's like return of the jedi. You can't strike out of anger. If you do, all is lost.

If I can convince someone to leave religion behind (which I've done on more than one occasion), then I have done my part. If I can't. Hey, it's all up to you.

I still love many religious people. But yes, I think you're wrong, and I think you're doing damage to the world. But we can still enjoy each others company.

For better, or worse, that's my stance. Love me, hate me, or do neither. That's how it's gonna be. And if anyone thought I wasn't dead serious when I say religion is a detriment to the world. That person, is hopefully, now, being disillusioned.

PS, if you wore a WWJD shirt, I really, REALLY wouldn't care. I'd tell you it was silly, like you do to me. But I wouldn't tell you to take it off.

I just wouldn't. It's your choice, and far be it from me to tell you, you CAN'T do it.

I am very tolerant. TOO tolerant even. I talk to, and congregate with all manner of religious folk.

If I were not tolerant, I'd be doing what the rednecks do to the gays. Dragging them behind a truck, and calling them names..... oh... and justifying their deaths in the name of god.
avatar
CDCeltown
Admin

Posts : 88
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 33
Location : Eltown, NC

http://www.locriansfire.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by suga suga on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:26 am

I like your mom. She seems like a very wise, intelligent, and respectful lady. What happened to you? (Kidding again) Well, I didn't know you were trying to change the world with your aethiest views. Either I'm just really open minded or gullible because I can almost understand your stance on religion. BUT at the same time, I've been a believer all my life so I see that side of it too. I think everyone should just worry about themselves and not worry what other believe or try to change anyone (unless, of course, that person were my daughter or someone else close to me).
avatar
suga suga

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-07-11
Location : Lenoir

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by Onalish on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 pm

suga suga wrote:I like your mom. She seems like a very wise, intelligent, and respectful lady. What happened to you? (Kidding again) Well, I didn't know you were trying to change the world with your aethiest views. Either I'm just really open minded or gullible because I can almost understand your stance on religion. BUT at the same time, I've been a believer all my life so I see that side of it too. I think everyone should just worry about themselves and not worry what other believe or try to change anyone (unless, of course, that person were my daughter or someone else close to me).

Even if the person would be your child or someone close to you, I don't believe that you should try and get them to believe your way. They are their own person and should choose for themselves.

_________________
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
~ Albert Einstein

avatar
Onalish

Posts : 54
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 28
Location : Eltown

http://www.myspace.com/onalish

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by EltownMom on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:50 pm

I think you misunderstood me young Padawan, I am not trying to change your mind, but if you have really got the idea that YOU are the person to dissuade someone from believing in anything then your on a crusade. I don't think crusades are cool, they end in car bombings and countries at war, or sticking people in ovens because they didn't agree with the head idiot! No I didn't say you were an idiot, trust me I know how smart you are. Too smart for your on good sometimes. I think what Lish said is right on target. My problem with you is this. I say to you, defend what and who you are but don't stand there and tell me I am wrong, because when it comes down to brass tacks, no one is right or wrong. I used to worry about you and your choice until I concluded that it was my worry not yours.
If you can really change someones mind, then I assume their mind was not completely made up, no insult intended but thats the way I see it. Don't let the chicken burn Twisted Evil

EltownMom

Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by suga suga on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Onalish wrote:
suga suga wrote:I like your mom. She seems like a very wise, intelligent, and respectful lady. What happened to you? (Kidding again) Well, I didn't know you were trying to change the world with your aethiest views. Either I'm just really open minded or gullible because I can almost understand your stance on religion. BUT at the same time, I've been a believer all my life so I see that side of it too. I think everyone should just worry about themselves and not worry what other believe or try to change anyone (unless, of course, that person were my daughter or someone else close to me).

Even if the person would be your child or someone close to you, I don't believe that you should try and get them to believe your way. They are their own person and should choose for themselves.

I think because my daughter is 14 she's not really mature enough to make up her mind about certain subjects. I mean, I wouldn't want you or Josh trying to convice her there is no God because she isn't quite ready for such a deep subject. However, if she were 18 or so she would be ready to take on her own opinions.
avatar
suga suga

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-07-11
Location : Lenoir

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by GV4L on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:04 pm

I remember when I first found out that there was no Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Candy Man. Then they said... "But hey now those bible stories were real"... Yes sir, that stuff really happened... when the polar bear and kangaroo came two by two to the ark…

There ought to be a law against messing with a child’s mind. Mad
avatar
GV4L

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by EltownMom on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 pm

Your right! there should be a law. My grandmother told me the devil would reach out from the ground and pull me in with him. The other day, ( this is 35 years later) I asked her if she believed the bible verbatim. She said NO! She thinks it's all parables. I still believe in Santa....maybe the Christmas spirit, but there is something magical about Christmas Eve, the tree lights and the love put in to the holiday...and Candy Man. Do you suppose Noah felt OK with all those spiders and ticks and fleas and so on.......

EltownMom

Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by Onalish on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 pm

suga suga wrote:
Onalish wrote:
suga suga wrote:I like your mom. She seems like a very wise, intelligent, and respectful lady. What happened to you? (Kidding again) Well, I didn't know you were trying to change the world with your aethiest views. Either I'm just really open minded or gullible because I can almost understand your stance on religion. BUT at the same time, I've been a believer all my life so I see that side of it too. I think everyone should just worry about themselves and not worry what other believe or try to change anyone (unless, of course, that person were my daughter or someone else close to me).

Even if the person would be your child or someone close to you, I don't believe that you should try and get them to believe your way. They are their own person and should choose for themselves.

I think because my daughter is 14 she's not really mature enough to make up her mind about certain subjects. I mean, I wouldn't want you or Josh trying to convice her there is no God because she isn't quite ready for such a deep subject. However, if she were 18 or so she would be ready to take on her own opinions.

I can understand your need to protect and nurture, however, I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

For one thing, it is never too early to hear every opinion and form your own. Thought processes are a "subject" in which you are never too young to go about it by yourself. This is the process of learning.

_________________
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
~ Albert Einstein

avatar
Onalish

Posts : 54
Join date : 2009-07-10
Age : 28
Location : Eltown

http://www.myspace.com/onalish

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we really need religion?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum